If you want to be successful in achieving your goals then you need to define them in a specific, measurable and realistic way. A goal without a plan is just a wish and the probability of achieving it becomes very low. To get results you need to have a clear outcome and a well planned strategy which is based on a positive and focused approach.
When I coach my clients on goal setting I like to give them the opportunity to express themselves and encourage them to link their emotions with their goals and consider the following key factors:
- Reason – What is my motivation to achieve this goal? How committed and determined am I?
- Be Specific – What do you want? How are you going to do it? What do you not want?
- Make it Personal – What can I do to achieve it?
- Define your Senses – What will I feel, see or hear as I achieve my goal? How do I want it to feel?
- Resources – What and Who will help me to achieve my goal?
I find this a little more personal and friendly than the usual “SMART” goal setting approach, but of course that can work too.
Combine the above points with creating choice, being flexible and developing opportunity and you are well on the way to a successful outcome. When setting goals I always consider this quote “It’s not what happens to you but how you react to it that matters” -Epictetus.
If you need assistance in achieving your goals then please contact me